Saturday, March 17, 2012

Irish Roast with Cabbage


 Original recipe: Cabbage on the bottom, red bliss potatoes stuffed into the nooks and crannies, slab of corned beef on top sprinkled with pickling spices and then one or two bottles of Juengling lager. I use a cast iron dutch oven that's been the family for decades and is well seasoned and slap on the cast iron lid and let it simmer til done...fork tender.
My version since I didn't have all the ingredients  was to use a chuck roast and  just add a can of beer and pickling spices: cinnamon, ginger, allspice, and dill weed and dill seeds, pepper.  I thickened the broth with corn starch for a nice thick gravy.  I also added carrots to my roast too.

Very tasty and different, since my family never made real Irish food or Mexican food from my heritage.  So now as an adult I'm learning to may more ethnic foods.

Thank you Carolyn Brown Sadowski for the recipe!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Always love hearing from my readers. Thank your for stopping by. Appreciate your comments!