Pico de gallo is a condiment like a salsa that is made with fresh chopped tomatoes, onions and chilies. It can be used just like a salsa for dipping tortilla chips into or as a side dish or a condiment. One advantage that it has over salsas is that there is less liquid and that makes it a perfect filling for tacos and burritos etc.
I just love Pico and put lots on all my foods, just can't get enough. For those of you who don't like hot spicy foods just leave off the chile peppers, it will still be really good.
- 4 medium ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 chile peppers, mild or hot, seeded and finely chopped (I used jalapeno)
- 2 tbsp chopped bell pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro leaves (no stems)
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
In a medium sized bowl, combine all ingredients.
Entire recipe makes 4 servings, Serving size is approx 1/2 cup, each serving = 0 point value
Source: Closet Cooking